Friday, 20 July 2012

Hardest fishing trip of the year so far...........

A warm welcome to this weeks blog update in a week that saw the England team win the Fisho-mania Home nations match at Cudmore Fisheries for the second year in succession.  I didn’t watch the Fisho-mania Final as I mentioned last week’s update I was out on the bank while that was on but I made sure I was free the following day to watch the Home nations match.

I really think the commentators did a great job over the course of the event to keep it interesting and informative as lets face it live match fishing does not have great prospects of being spectator sport for television viewers but as I have said I thought they all did a great job and I picked up loads of little hints and tips from listening to what Tommy and Keith had to say during the match.  I could think of only one idea to improve what sky sports do in this event and it is to have a few anglers available on the Red button where you can just watch that angler for the entire duration and see exactly how they feed and go about fishing a match of this calibre.

Match fishing is not something that has ever interested me to the extent where I would want to take part in one but I do love seeing these anglers applying their trade and it was great to see that a lot of the anglers on the commercial scene actually started their fishing on rivers with one of the Welsh lads holding the River match record of over 300lb of chub!!! What a haul that is a catch of unimaginable proportions.  I look forward already to next years fisho-mania final as it’s a great event to have in the calendar.

On to this weeks fishing:

To be honest this weeks fishing was really tough, there where times where I just felt like knocking it on the head and heading home to watch the fishomania final and writing the fishing off completely, it was tough both mentally and physically the toughest days fishing ive experienced since writing the blog.

All week the river had been running off nicely down to a level that would finally see us on the better stretches of the river fishing some of the lovely dace glides we discovered last year.  All week the texts where full of the joys of last years trips where we bagged up on fat dace and stream lined grayling and our thoughts turned to this years tactics and trying to lure some of the chub shoals we know also live there, in our minds we were already there on the bank, our plan was set and with only Friday to go we knew our day on the river wasn’t far away.

Friday morning and I set off from my house with that Friday feeling we all get that there is only one more day till two days of freedom. A joy that was cut short abruptly 10 minutes from work when from no where the heavens opened and it started raining quite heavily.  I at first just thought it would be a shower but it rained and it rained and it rained and before I knew it, it was 4pm and I was leaving work with the soul wrenching persistent tip tap of rain hitting my umbrella, each drop making that trip to the river even more and more unlikely.

The EA river level site was my constant companion all through Friday and it wasn’t till gone 1pm that the River Dee showed the levels increasing and that was only a minimal increase at that.  Work finished and with another update in levels due around 5pm it was off to buy the bait bought in the form of a pint of castor and maggot, that done and I was all set baring the task of cooking my hemp seed.

The next few updates showed an increase to around 5.8m and a quick check of other levels on local tributaries showed them all to be flooded so a fair amount of water was entering the system, the next morning we set off into the gloom not knowing what we was heading too.

We arrived at the tributary we fished 2 weeks ago to find the river running through fast and the colour of chocolate but we decided to set up and give it a hour or so to see what it fished like, in hindsight we should never of entertained the idea the flow was far too fast and although the levels where fishable with the river rising the flow was ferocious and after a hour or so we decided to move to the much wider and deeper part of the river hoping to find some slower water or a slack where the fish might be holding up out of the flow.

I quickly set up on a peg I had done well on in winter that I knew was relatively shallow but the flow could be relied on to be steady as it is situated between two trees with the flow running gently down to a tree at the bottom of the trot.  As you can see from the picture above the levels where up and rising with the peg already under a few inches of water.

The river as I imagined was quite shallow compared to the deeper sections and the trot was delightful with the float going down and a lovely pace that just screamed bites, as you can see on the picture above a dream of a trot but what it made up fro in looks it lacked in fish.

What became noticeable from the off was the river was rising and it was rising at an alarming rate with it almost now reaching my footplate, this was certainly not going to be a swim I could fish all day.  I continued to persevere hoping to pick up a few fish and both me and my uncle did pick up some small roach holding in the slack like the one shown below but was certainly nothing to make it worthwhile fishing a river that was certainly on the rise and we decided to call it a day and pick a still water venue for the rest of the day.

As you can see from the picture above the river had rose significantly since my arrival and with my uncle fishing an even more precarious swim upstream we decided to admit defeat on the river and headed for High Legh Fishery on the Warrington Anglers Card for the rest of the session, no one can say we don’t try!!

When you arrive at high legh you go thorough a farmer’s gate and the fishery is in the middle of the field, there is a gravel track covering half of the field and the rest is across rough ground.  The rough ground is exactly that and we decided to park the car half way to the fishery and not risk the path.  Anyone who wants a true idea what to expect from access tracks to Warrington anglers waters need look no further than this picture below, deep ruts that would certainly see your car stuck and need pushing or pulling out, no wonder the fishery was empty.

We walked the small distance to the fishery and I decided to set up and fish a method I had not fished in a long time in the waggler and my uncle fished the pole to some reeds in the margin.  Feeding castors regularly over the top via the catapult with the odd pouch of hemp I was straight away into rudd both on the drop and on the bottom.

The greedy rudd kept me busy for the whole day greedily hovering up my free offerings as they kit the surface.  As the swim progressed I began catching some lovely small tench and I fully expected the swim to keep developing and for the carp to move in but alas it just never materialised for me but I thoroughly enjoyed my dad fishing for bits on the waggler.  The one strange thing was I didn’t catch one roach or bream all the silver fish where rudd.

My uncle, also on maggot and castor, was picking up small fish but was also hitting the odd carp which, on his light gear was making short work of his hook lengths so he stepped it up with impressive results with him taking 6 carp in total with the best ones shown below.



That was it for the day really and I have to be honest one of the hardest days on the bank for me I really cannot wait to get back trotting on the river I just hope this weekend we have a change of luck and we can get into those dace shoals on the River Dee.

Till next week

I wish you all tight lines


No comments:

Post a Comment